Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Very First Try in Latex

I recently started out with the latex thing. During my very first try I figured out, that this material is easy and hard to do at the same time.

I started with the very easiest thing: Doing pleats. That's the right thing for getting a feeling for how the material behaves. The bronce coloured latex is 0.6 mm thick. Most important is to do sketches before and measure EVERYthing before. I tried it once without measuring and the pleats all looked different and sticky.

The brown latex is 0.35 mm thick. But I forgot to buy glue for thinner Latex. So I had to glue it again and again and finally bought some latex milk. But as I forgot to clean the stripe from the former rests of glue, it's all rough and uneven. I think I will have to glue it again. I learned that it's very important not to put too much glue on it and just to adapt it to places you really want it on, because you will always see the glue on the latex and it will always be sticky afterwards. Luckily you can clean it from wrong adapted glue after it is dried. Just take a sharp knife or something and carefully scratch it off. But actually the cleaning process lasts hours, so it's better to do it right the first time.

Also don't forget: Cleaning before means everything. The glue won't work responsibly, if you didn't clean it roundly. See some details - especially of the pleats - in the following pictures.

Thinner latex is good for doing trims, because you can do lots of detailed stuff with it.

The pleats should all fit to each other with their measurments.

I think doing pleats is one of the most beautiful ways to finish latex clothing.

Please let me know, what you think of it, as it is my very first try.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Alu Foil Costume

As I'm trying to be more creative in the future, I started a blog to encourage myself and document the projects I'm doing.

My first project this year was a costume made of alu foil. I loved it, because it was a really cheap material to work with, that excuses mistakes. And of course I made some mistakes to learn from.

First of all you have to buy rolls of foil. Maybe it's not necessary to tell, but you can get them in every grocery store or supermaket. Because I wanted to make a whole dress and accessoires from it and calculated to make mistakes, I bought lots of it - three rolls. That was my first mistake: I didn't even need the half of one. :D

Second thing you need is some glue. I used just anyone that was in my desk from earlier projects. And there was the second mistake: Don't use glue on water base because it takes eons to dry. Many hours in that you mustn't touch and can't go on. Also don't use glue pens - they don't glue enough. And don't be stingy with the glue. The more you use at the right spots the easier it will be to wear later.

I did a simple scetch and decided to do the following parts: a collar, two bracelets with roses attached to them, a fishtail that will be linked with wrapped foil lains at the end, a ribbon that will be attached to the dress and a rose-shaped fascinator for the hair.

After finishing the pieces it's hard to imagine the result, because the "body part" will yet be done when wearing it. So at the moment the costume is lying around in pieces. If you design something like this, don't forget that it takes a lot of space, because you can't fold the pieces and store it in your wardrobe.

The costume will be shot at the end of the month. I hope to show you some result, so that you can imagine it much better. Meanwhile there is a shot of the single parts for you.


Alu Foil Costume in progress
fishtail, collar, bracelets, ribbon and fascinator